Peace Day 2017 Committee Planning
Meeting: July 17, 2017 Present: Sarah, Bansari, Sinead, Michelle, Richard, Kadir, Priya, Alejandra
· Identified speakers: Maureen- Myriad Foundation, Maurianna- CAOK, and Nyla Ali Khan.
· We will have a table set up from 2 -4 pm, at the Turkish festival, for people to decorate and prepare them for the Sept. 21stplanting.
Peace Day Observance – Thursday September 21, 2017 (6-8 PM)
· Set up: 2 tables, 4 chairs
· Expect about 50 people there.
· Speakers: Deborah Echo-Hawk, Sheri, Candace, and UN Speaker (Deborah’s guest) (3-5 Min. to speak)
· Need to check the ground a couple of days before this event.
Roles & Deadlines [Agreed to have these details identified and confirmed by the next meeting]
Kadir- Will send us the Teacher email database.
Michelle- Will order 6 unites of pinwheels (200 individual). Need to find out if pinwheels are recyclable.
Priya- Push out press releases, helping disseminate information to social justice organizations; Create summary information sheet; Ask Candace about performing poet reading at Peace Day observance event; will post events to Gazette, KOSU and KGOU calendars; outreach for speakers for capitol event (CAIR, ACLU, Sheri). Will need quote from speakers for September 9 event for press release.
Sarah- Will inquire CAOK about using the social justice contact database.
Richard- Will create two simple flyers, one for the Peace Walk and the other for the Peace Day Observance and will create the facebook event.
Alejandra- Will get sharpies and stickers to decorate the pinwheels.
· Next meeting at 6:00pm at Raindrop Turkish House on August 21, 2017 (Monday)
· August-First week of August create Facebook page for both events commemorating the International Day of Peace. Send press release to news outlets
TTO DO LIST
TTO DO LIST
The main things left to do are as follows:
Order pinwheels (Michelle)
Send Press Release the first week of August (Priya)
Create Facebook Events and Flyer for distribution (Richard)
Get list from Sarah to send outreach letter to organizations (Sarah)
Send outreach letter to organizations and art teachers (Priya)
Get quotes from Maureen, Maurianna, and Dr. Nyla Ali Khan for press release (Kadir could you please help me get a quote from Maureen, I will reach out to the other two). (Kadir and Priya)
Get stickers and sharpies to decorate pinwheels (Alejandra)
If you have any questions or concerns, please let me know.
I look forward to seeing the progress we've made at our next meeting. I hope you can join us onat the Raindrop Turkish House (thank you Kadir)!