Breakfast Granola Bars and muffins from Sam's. Next week we will bring chips for MiAngila
Activity: Hands to uplift youth from poverty. On parking lot. The meeting started late due to late arrivals.
Isaiah needs all interested YAC members to : Go to http://www.signupgenius.com/go
- Thank you to all who helped Caitlyn G with her Cleats for Kids Drive!
- Thank you to all who attended the YAC birthday celebration last Tuesday.
- Thank you to all who have been helping with the Gratitude Quilt. We will continue quit making this week during Activities and the double. Help us when you have time. Get service hours Learn a skill.
1. Winter clothing collection for Centennial High School continues this week. Please bring your gently used winter coats, hats, gloves to the basket by the Giving Tree. Mariam and Safra will contact Karoline L. and see where she is on this drive, meanwhile, YAC members are encouraged to bring winter clothing to the Giving Tree at Harper and place it in the wicker basket by the tree.
2. Go to http://www.signupgenius.com/go
3. Mr. Rainbolt will have lunch at Casady Wing with YAC and Cyclone Servant leadership on Tuesday, February 21, 2017. Lunch and Activities. If you signed-up before, please confirmed your attendance by placing your initials in the whiteboard sign-up giant post-it note. Expected Attendance:
Freshmen: Saadia N. Jacob B. Malavika R. Aaron P. Ahmed, Ellie T. (6)
Sophomores: Sahanya B., Katherine S., Ellie G., Anna B. (4)
Juniors: Safra S. Mariam S. Luke A. (3)
Seniors: MiAngila G., Jack R., Johnny L., Calvin T., Jake U., Josh B., HOSTS: Miranda T., Isaiah L. (8)
If you want to attend, add your name! Saadia and Aaron are making a PP. Please send them pictures of your projects. Malavika is working on a grateful quilt for Mr. Rainbolt. If you want to help, come during Music, Activities or the Double to help, get service hours, and learn a skill.
Adults: Meet Mr. Rainbolt at noon at the Wing conference room.
From the greater OKC Community: Joan K. (Respect Diversity Foundation)
From Casady School: Casady Cares Team: Mr. Sheldon, Coach Bonfiglio, Coach T., Father Marlin, Father Blizzard, Father Youmans, Mr. Evan Walter, Dr. Wesley Fryer, Mr. Kelley, Dr. Sara Price, Mrs. Small, Mrs. Clay
II. NEW PROJECTS
1. World Interfaith Harmony Week: February 1-7. Play the Compassion Games, Survival of the Kindness. You receive a daily mission via e-mail. Sign up as an individual or as a team at http://compassiongames.org/world-interfaith-harmony-week/ Mrs. Clay brought this advocacy experience to the attention of YAC. Encourage YAC to participate as a team-YAC Peace Team-4-WIHW. To keep Rachel's challenge in the forefront, an announcement will be done about this week in combination with being caught doing an act of kindness Maybe somebody will catch you and place your name in the "Chain Reaction of Kindness"
2. National Foreign Language Week: March 5-11: UCO Japanese students @ Harper and at MD International Club. Possible speaker during Music, Activities and Double "Tea time with change dreamers: Don Quijote and Cervantes" On Parking lot
3. National Volunteer Week: Presidential Awards, Chapel Speaker, Celebration Activity: Mrs. Clay. Possible High tea celebration at Records!? On Parking lot
4. 2016-2017 Fedex, Strategic Planning: Safra and Mariam On Parking lot
5. Miranda's project On Parking Lot
III. Project Updates
1. Feedback on MLK Day 2017: On parking lot. Update: The picture of the afternoon MLK Day volunteer group made the Regional Food Bank of Oklahoma newsletter
2. Track for Johnson Elementary: Aaron asked to helpers to write grants and proposals to get the $30,000 he will need to refurbish the track to make it wheelchair accessible.
3. Roots of Service Quilts: Malavika,Sahanya was not able to attend the meeting, but her design of the Grateful Quilt for Mr. Rainbolt is almost finished. Sahanya, Cooper, and Mason are strating the quilt they will take to the National Service-Learning Conference as part of their showcase, if they get selected. The applied to showcase their projects last week.
4. Rachel's Kindness Challenge: Cooper and Nicole A Chain reaction of kindness will connect to the World Interfaith Harmony Games, February 1-7. Then Nicole J will bring her kindness lollipops(which Mrs. Clay will purchase at Sam's, during RAK Week (February 12-18). Nicole requested $30 from S-L P for supplies and lollipops. She also would like to continue the WARM Project making fleece blankets for Positive Tomorrows or the Homeless Alliance. The blankets need to be ready on the National Random Acts of Kindness Day, Friday, February 17, 2017.
5. Mentoring Projects:
-Stanley Hupfeld Academy: EricOn parking lot
-Best Buddies Will visit Special Care February 7, 2017 during the double: Zac did not attend the meeting, but is working with Special Care and Coaches to set up a first visit to Special Care
-Boys and Girls Club: YAC Monthly Buddies Sahanya stated after the meeting, because we did not get to this item of the agenda, that she wants YAC to go to Boys and Girls Club again on Friday, February 24th. She will make a sign-up at the wall of the YAC community room.
6. Showcase at National Service Learning Conference: March 22-25th Sahanya, Cooper and Mason attending. They finished their application to showcase last week. Upon their return, they will demonstrate learning to YAC and at chapel. Check S-L Program PP for the showcase here
7. Homeless Alliance: Perfect Pair Ellie will provide date (Late April, during National Volunteer Week being considered. On parking lot
8. Global Youth Service Days Project: April 21-23, 2017. Established in 1988, Global Youth Service Day (GYSD) celebrates and mobilizes the millions of young people who improve their communities through service. Caring Hands-Hands on Poverty: Project started last week. Please make hands, decorate them Use a hold puncher to get ribbon through and hang them at the Giving Tree. The Bezos Foundation will provide $1.90 per hand sent in to Save the Children who in turn will empower youth in Nicaragua and Indonesia to rise into a life they dream for themselves. On Prking lot
IV. Items from the floor all items on parking lot
1. Youth LEAD OKC- Day at the Oklahoma National Memorial and Museum
-Cultural Tapestry Oklahoma Standard: An Oklahoma Cultural Tapestry Day at the Oklahoma City National Memorial and Museum. The goal of the Youth LEAD experience is: To inform people of Oklahoma Teens' cultural diversity and break cultural divisions through listening Memories of the retreat at http://youthleadokc.blogspot.
Targeted Audience: 8th graders originally, but now is 9th grade teens because the museum has received a grant to bring teens to the museum free of charge, including money for transportation. Target date: February or early April. YLOKCasady met on Friday 1/27/2017 at 1:10 to follow-up with museum.
2. Youth LEAD online TIDE Conference; Mrs. Clay Memorial Weekend, Emerson College, Boston
3 YMCA Youth in Government Luke