The first OKC Friendship Walk will be on Saturday, September 24th, 2pm, at the Myriad Gardens in Oklahoma City. The walk will be a part of the Turkish Festival, and it will demonstrate the rich diversity of Oklahoma's communities as well as our commitment to building a culture of peace and friendship. It will commemorate the International Day of Peace (9/21) as proclaimed by the General Assembly of the United Nations.
Everyone is invited to participate -- there is no charge for admission to the festival, and the only requirement for walkers is to maintain a positive attitude and a peaceful demeanor. Flags, signs, banners are welcome, as well as expressions of support for the sustainable development of our planet in a global culture of peace. We might also offer a special word of encouragement to the people of Turkey who are suffering from the erosion of human and civil rights in their country. Peace, freedom, and human rights go hand in hand.
The Myriad Gardens will promote the events through their social media kits.
Walk speakers: Sinead Maguina... will introduce the speakers and give instructions to the walkers. The Executive Director of Myriad Garden Foundation Maureen Heffernan (405) 445-7081 email@example.com and Kuaybe Basturk ... Interfaith Dialog Institute , and Aamr Hasanjee ... International Students Association, UCO will welcome the walkers.
|OKC Friendship Walk Board Agenda|
by Prya, United Nations Association of Greater Oklahoma
(includes speakers and walk time)
Opening Remarks (no more than 15-20 minutes)
Silent March around the perimeter of the gardens
Closing Remarks/Thank you (no more than 5 Minutes)
To begin our walk, we will have several spoken messages. Speakers will include:
Kuaybe Basturk ... Dialogue InstituteAamr Hasanjee ... International Students Association, UCO
Maureen Heffernan ... Executive Director of the Myriad Gardens
Sinead Maguina agreed to speak as well. She will introduce the speakers and give instructions to the walkers.
Flute and drum will be provided by Steve McLinn and (we hope) Albert Gray Eagle.
- Get bios from speakers for Sinead and let them know about the time limit for speaking. Can we set a deadline to get this information to Sinead?
- Can we identify someone to close the event?
- Have we confirmed Albert Gray Eagle? What about the drumming initiative? Flags to mark the path from UCO?
- Create flyer (who can do this?)
- Post to social media (twitter, facebook, blogs, websites, etc.)
- Other outreach (newspapers, magazines, blogs, community event calendars, etc.)
- Where are we telling folks to gather at the gardens?
- Contingency plan for unfavorable weather conditions...if there is one?